4 Giving Views Contrasted
Among the presenters was Brian Kluth. He shared the distinction between 4 views of generosity/giving/stewardship. His table contrasting these four is below.
However, as I looked at my own life - and of those I know - it began to come clear that the 3 columns to the left are about building and managing reservoirs - albeit. "Christian Reservoirs'. What do I mean?
A Reservoir is where I store all of the things I have earned, and the gifts I have received - even from God. I store them because I might need them later, or so that I can control the giving that occurs. The bigger the better. Because, the more I have, the more I can give. The more I can be a benefactor; contribute to worthy causes; give back; feel blessed; be appreciated and proud of the good I have done; achieve results; and have an impact.
But is there a difference between just a reservoir for someone who is not a Christian and one who is? How often have I thought or said - "Oh yes, that is true for them, but I am not that way". Really? Mark, you better take a closer look. Brian's table has helped me 'see it'.
A Christian's Reservoir:
- Is one that is motivated toward good. The giving (or release from the reservoir) is for things of the Church and the Kingdom of God.
- Is giving that gets results;
- Is giving that meets a need;
- Is giving that comes out of duty;
- Is giving that at times is drudgery;
- Is giving that benefits both the recipient and the giver (IRS);
- Is giving that brings earthly rewards.
The control of the Giving is mine!
- God has provided all our resources. Everything comes from God.
- God has given us the responsibility to manage these resources as stewards. He is the owner, we are the steward of the owners resources.
- God will ultimately hold us accountable for how we steward His resources.
Furthermore, there are the 11 points to ponder in the Transformational Giving column:
- Grace Based: It is underserved and is a gift from God.
- Bible Focused: The word of God commands it.
- Faith Transformation: Our lives have been transformed. 'Crucified with Christ' - He is the Lord.
- Given to Give: Everything we have comes from God. As someone has said. "Most everything we have been given has someone else's name on it.
- Son/Steward/Sower: Whose we are/ Our assignment / How we are to carry out that assignment.
- Give out of Obedience: Simple - Hear and Obey.
- Faith Motivation: Not for fortune, fame, or fear, but trusting the one who has redeemed us.
- Open Hands: You can't hold onto anything if your hands are open - particularly palms down.
- Eternal Rewards: Laying up for ourselves treasures in heaven.
- God is my Provider: My jehovah jireh.
- Giving is a Delight: The result of my obedient stewardship is - a Delight and a Blessing.
7982 Hillcrest Trail
Jonesboro, Georgia 30236