Life as a River
"When you come to a fork
in the road - Take it"
The other reason I liked him? Playing little league in those days, I played catcher - All 5 feet of me. The catchers gear hung to the ground - and that was when I was standing up!
Over the years, Yogi’s quotes have become legend. They wouldn’t be nearly so funny or memorable, except they were things he actually said - and sometimes more than once.
Some of the ones that come to mind are:
- “You can observe a lot by watching”
- “It’s not over till it’s over”
- “If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up somewhere else.”
- “You’ve got to be very careful, if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.”
- And one of the best….” If you come to a fork in the road, take it.”
One morning, not long ago, while still in that half sleep - half awake state, I began thinking about the spiritual implications of that ‘yogi-ism’. Now, I don’t pretend to apply great Theological Truth to this statement, but here is how my thinking went….
- Because I have been crucified with Christ
- Because I ‘die daily’
- Because Christ himself is the Lord of my Life
- Because the life I now live is by faith in the one who died for me
- Because Christ Himself is the very road I walk on
- Because I am backing my way into the future, holding onto His hand
- Because it is Him who is directing my path
- Because He makes the crooked straight
- Because everything is in His hands….
- (And I am sure you could add a whole bunch more)
Maybe Yogi Berra IS right…. When you come to a fork in the road - TAKE IT. Because after all -- with all of the above being true - whichever fork He chooses for the two of us to take - I going along!
If the river forks,
it doesn’t matter
which one HE
takes me down.
7982 Hillcrest Trail
Jonesboro, Georgia 30236